Prayer should not be regarded as a duty which must be performed, but rather as a privilege to be enjoyed, a rare delight that is always revealing some new beauty. -E.M. Bounds
At the end of each topic, let the Holy Spirit guide you. He will bring people, names, and situations to mind to pray for.
Also, enjoy any times of silence as a love offering to the Lord and take delight in His presence.
You Prayed - God Answered:
After 34 years dreaming of a station that could reach the next generation in Houston, KSBJ’s dream became a reality. On August 8, 2016 at 6am, NGEN Radio launched a full power signal at 91.7. That signal was purchased from the University of Houston, a bid process that took the favor of the Lord to bring it to pass. NGEN is focused on reaching millennials, inviting the next generation to change your tune, and find where they belong in Christ.
• Education – Churches adopting Schools – a testimony
Last Monday Humble United Methodist Church provided breakfast for about 90 staff members at Lakeland Elementary. They donated school supplies and prepared welcome bags for the new teachers. Their Bible clubs at Lakeland will begin next month and they have volunteers who read to the kids, help out in the library and work on the school groups. They also participated in a prayer walk and are training people to serve as mentors to youth at Humble High School. God is opening lots of doors for all of us!!
On July 13, about 120 community members, including children, gathered in front of the Kingwood Division Office of the Houston Police Department to pray for the brave men and women who protect us. Ninety names were read by Associate Pastor Chris Harrison of Kingwood United Methodist Church during the prayer service, as participants laid hands on over the 20 Police Officers who were present. Many others who received prayer were out in the field, but every officer was covered in prayer. It was a beautiful picture of bringing prayer to the very people we cover in the 1 Church Initiative. Thank you to the KUMC PRAYER TEAM for organizing the Prayers for Police.
Let us then approach God’s throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need. (Hebrews 4:16)
Prayer Points for our Strategic Teams / Spheres in our area:
Arts, Entertainment and Media:
- Pray for all the voices of media in Humble, Atascocita, and Kingwood. The voices are on the radio, television, newspapers, periodicals, and social media platforms. May God loose the voices that are used for His glory and may He bind up the voices that would speak destruction into our community. And I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven, and whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven. (Matthew 16:19)
- Pray for KSBJ as they make prayer their number one priority message in the Month of September. The message will be, “Fall on your knees.” KSBJ will be hosting a Prayer Gathering at Lindale Assembly of God Church on September 28th at 7pm. One of the prayer targets that night will be the entire broadcast area of KSBJ and the spread of the 1 Church Initiative. Pray that God will give favor to this initiative in every area of the Gulf Coast. Come, let us worship and bow down, let us kneel before the Lord our Maker. (Psalm 95:6)
Business and the Market Place:
- The Lake Houston Economic Development Partnership (LHEDP) was founded in our community by the Lake Houston Chamber of Commerce five years ago to serve our local and regional economy. Pray for God to provide leadership and financial resources for LHEDP to attract and retain the kinds of businesses that would stengthen and bless our local economy. Commit to the Lord whatever you do, and he will establish your plans. (Proverbs 16:11)
- Pray for the businesses and their employees along the Beltway 8 corridor, especially in the Fall Creek/Wilson Road area where the rate of crime is troublesome. God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble. (Psalm 46:1)
- As 38 churches are now united to be part of the 1 Church Initiative in our local area, pray that God would show us the next steps to strengthen our unity and our witness to the community. I in them and you in me - so that they may be brought to complete unity. Then the world will know that you have sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me. (John 17:23)
- As Pasadena has now launched and Brazoria County launches the 1 Church Initiative on September 1, pray that God would raise up leaders in Greater Houston to implement a “canopy of prayer” in each of our 45 communities. And as he taught them, he said, “Is it not written: ‘My house will be called a house of prayer for all nations?’ But you have made it a den of robbers.’” (Mark 11:17)
- Houston is home to the Texas Medical Center, the largest medical center in the world. The team leader for the Healthcare Strategic Team in our area is Julie Nickell. Julie lives in our community but serves as the Chief Financial Officer at Baylor School of Medicine in the Medical Center. Pray for Julie and other Christians who serve with her. Pray for God to anoint them with increasing wisdom, skill and influence at the Medical Center. The Spirit of the Lord will rest on him – the Spirit of wisdom and of understanding, the Spirit of counsel and of might, the Spirit of knowledge and fear of the Lord. (Isaiah 11:2)
- Pray by name for other doctors and medical professionals that you know in our area. Pray that they would have God’s grace and power to see others the way Jesus sees them. So from now on we regard no one from a worldly point of view. Though we once regarded Christ in this way, we do so no longer. Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, the new creature has come. The old has gone, the new is here! (2 Corinthians 5:16-17)
- Pray for our administrators to see the unique gifts in each teacher in our schools and for the wisdom to know how to use them. If you know one or more administrators, pray for them by name. We have different gifts, according to the grace given to each of us. (Romans 12:6)
- Pray for each teacher to see the unique gifts and talents within every child and the wisdom to know how to cultivate and strengthen those gifts. If you know one or more teachers, pray for them by name. If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you. (James 1:5)
- We have many home school families in our community. Pray that these families would have a very successful launch of their new school year and that each family would grow in their knowledge of Christ. Start children off on the way they should go, and even when they are old they will not turn from it. (Proverbs 22:6)
- As the new fall season begins, pray that families across our community would find creative ways to establish regular family prayer times. Pray for God to bless these times with the joy of His Presence. You make known to me the path of life; you will fill me with joy in your presence, with eternal pleasures at your right hand. (Psalm 16:11)
- Pray for God’s special grace and favor to rest upon those who minister to families in our community. Pray for God to protect them and to bless their families – so that they might minister to others out of the joy they experience in their own families. May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you will overflow with joy by the power of the Holy Spirit. (Romans 15:13)
- Pray that God will protect every firefighter and police officer in the Humble, Atascocita, and Kingwood area; so that no harm will befall them in the line of duty, for peace in their homes, and health for their bodies. If you say, ‘The Lord is my refuge,” and you make the Most High your dwelling, no harm will overtake you, no disaster will come near your tent. (Psalm 91:9-10)
- Pray that God will enable the police department to effectively address crime issues and uphold the law. When the righteous prosper, the city rejoices; when the wicked perish, there are shouts of joy. (Proverbs 11:10)
Special Focus on Mission:
Other cities are interested in adopting the 1 Church Initiative model. More recently prayer networks in Asia are seeing the potential of adopting this model across their national networks. Our friends and colleagues in Bellingham, Washington, where the 1 Church Initiative has been established for several years now, have so much to share. So do newer cities like our own where it is now being established.
- Pray for great wisdom and favor as we work to strengthen the relationship and the communication flow between Houston and Bellingham.
- Pray for favor as we work to develop specific communication tools to share the 1 Church Initiative stories and resources with other cities.
- Pray for grace, anointing, favor and protection as the 1 Church Initiative model will be shared with national prayer network leaders from the 11 nations who make up the Southeast Asia Prayer Council. They will meet in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, October 4-7. We know we are not able in ourselves to do any of this work. God makes us able to do these things. (2 Corinthians 3:5)